Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Songs: A Night Out-The Smiths/ Jermaine Stewart

SAD: The Smiths- There is a Light that Never Goes Out


Disclaimer- Sometimes this song does fall on the happy side with me, just because I do like to belt out "and if a ten ton truck kills the both of us."

Anyway, a song about someone who is homeless and having strange fears grip them in the darkened underpass can't be all that happy.  If you really want my stab at an in-depth analysis, I'll say that this is a song about a guy that can't confess his love to the object of his affection despite an obvious chance.  He would find some comfort in sharing the intimacy of death with this person rather than risk being rejected.

Wow, where did that come from?   

HAPPY: Jermaine Stewart- We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off


A song like this could never be anything but happy.

As far as I can remember, I didn't hear this song until maybe 2005 on my way to work one morning.  I was flabbergasted that such an amazingly ridiculous song existed.  Then I saw the video and fell even deeper in love.

It's a world where you can't take your clothes off, but you can spend all night drinking cherry wine!  I also find it hilarious how the song is an anthem for taking it slow and getting to know each other, yet the model is the video is subjected to every "sexy" 1980's video cliche with Jermaine wagging his finger at her.  At least she (randomly) gets to wear a graduation mortarboard while she puts on her lipstick!










No comments:

Post a Comment