Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Try it Tuesday: Slide Lamp

Today's "Try it Tuesday" features the product of what may possibly be my favorite tutorial ever!   Last summer, I stumbled across HGTV's "She's Crafty" and instantly coveted a lamp that had a shade made out of slides briefly shown in the theme song.  Since I couldn't wait a few days for the episode to air, I scoured the internet until I found this brief explanation of the project.

(Looks like it could have used some styling to straighten out the slides.  Oops!)

The materials for this one took some time to acquire. 

I bought a lamp that had a tubular shade at Ikea (which apparently is no longer available).  
I got the slides (the project calls for 105) through Ebay.  Using your own slides would certainly be an option, but I just wasn't open to that!  I think they'll stay nice and safe elsewhere, thank you very much! :)  

I used a coupon at Michael's and sprung for the Crop-a-Dile, which made punching holes through the cardboard of a ton of slides soooo much easier.  (I tried this with a random five dollar punch and highly regretted my aching hands, wasted time and ragged slide holes.)

I also bought the jump rings to connect the slides at Michael's.


I ignored the specifics about the number of slides needed and figured it out on my own once I started adding them to the stripped lampshade.  The directions call for a lampshade with a 14" diameter, and mine was larger.  Luckily I had a ton of slides!  As you can see above, I turned all the printed logos, etc. toward the inside.



This lamp always gets a ton of compliments and casts such amazing light.  I've always wanted to try adding an unfrosted bulb to make the projection of the slides even clearer!  Here's a picture from our last place, where the wall the lamp projected on was less complex.


If you make one, I'd love to see!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment