Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Songs: Rapture Edition: Billy Joel/R.E.M.

                                             SAD: Billy Joel- We Didn't Start the Fire



I remember seeing this video on VH1 when I was little and finding it scary.  (I was watching it on VH1 because we weren't allowed to watch MTV.  Sometimes my sister and I would sneak the channel to MTV while my mom was doing something else and EVERY single time they would be playing Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love."  That video is so lame that we just gave up trying to watch MTV at all.)

Anyway, I'm assuming that the same reason that I found this unsettling when I was a little kid is the same reason that I find it sad today.  Time is passing so quickly in the song.  Lives seem so much less important due to the presentation.  That sounds pretty SAD to me!


                                           HAPPY: R.E.M.- It's the End of the World




My major memory of this song is when No Doubt performed it on New Year's Eve 1999/2000, on one of the other occasions the world was supposed to be ending.  I found it really annoying because Gwen Stefani just gave up at the end (even though she had cue cards).

This song is speeding through life at the same speed as "We Didn't Start the Fire," but has a distinctly optimistic feeling and therefore must be HAPPY.




No comments:

Post a Comment