Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Try it Tuesday: The YUDU

A couple of year ago, my sweet husband bought me a YUDU screen printer for Valentine's Day.  Sadly, I am just getting around to printing on it now!

Warning: technical talk ahead!

This Try it Tuesday actually started several days ago when I realized I had lost the emulsions needed to make the screen (that block off areas, creating a stencil-like effect).  We moved this summer, and I remember thinking they may be damaged by heat and taking them out of the box with the other YUDU stuff.  I must have put them in some really safe place from which they will never be extracted, because my search produced nothing.

Anyway, I tracked down some more emulsions and read up on the application process.  I have screen printing experience from grad school, but we applied a wet emulsion rather than sheets.  My first attempt at this new type of emulsion was a total flop.  The emulsion came right off like wet saran wrap...which was disgusting.  Upon closer inspection of the directions, it turns out there is a "tip" that really needs to be considered an essential step that allowed the whole process to work.  I'll spare you the details.

Once I finally got down to business, my first time screen printing at home was really awesome!  I am looking forward to printing again soon!

Here's a sneak peek of what I made!  Look for the whole design in my store soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment